California Roadtrip I

Monday, June 30

This June, my boyfriend and I went to California for the road trip of our dreams. I wanted to share a few photos as it was an incredible experience, one that I would recommend to everyone and one that has inspired me and rejuvenated me. We spent the first couple of days in San Francisco, adjusting to the new time zone and walking until our entire bodies ached. The Marina, Fisherman's Wharf, North Beach, Chinatown... nowhere escaped our wandering feet.  A cold wind snapped at our faces as we ate warming soup out of bread loaves and watched the sea lions laze on Pier 39. A Banksy loomed down on us in North Beach as we sought shelter from the weather in City Lights Bookstore. It was bustling and it was lively and two days was only enough time to see a whisker of what this city has to offer.

We hired our camper van from Escape Campervans, whose entire fleet of vans have been hand painted by local artists. They have bases in New York, San Francisco, Chicago, LA and Miami, so if you're ever in those areas I would recommend them without hesitation. We drove our psychedelic wonder down the coastal Highway 1 to Big Sur, where all the clichés are true. Majestic and wild, the pacific crashes into rugged rocks 500ft below and redwoods soar skyward. We explored beaches with purple sand and turquoise lagoons, where 60ft waterfalls spill over cliffs onto the sand below. The place was pure magic. We saw two pods of whales on their annual migrations, shooting sea spray high into the air as we watched from the cliff tops. We hiked through canyons as old as civilisation and drank coffee in quaint seaside towns. Big Sur was an experience like no other, and it was only the beginning. 

























Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

16 comments :

  1. Looks like an amazing adventure and your photos are just absolutely stunning! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania, it was definitely an adventure. 3 weeks turned into what felt like 3 days! x

      Delete
  2. Oh wow Chesca, what a fabulous adventure. I agree with Tania, your photos are so beautiful. My husband and I have often talked about a US holiday and driving up the California coastal highway. This post has made me want to do it even more x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't recommend it enough Annie. We spent a week exploring the coast, but could have easily stayed longer. We've even talked about coming back and driving the entire coast north to south! There's just so much to see and do x

      Delete
  3. An amazing trip & I know how wonderful San Fran is because I have been there. I did a round trip of LA, San Fran & Yosemite and it was breath taking, I would very much love to see more of California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah it's amazing isn't it?! We never made it down to LA, but we did do Yosemite. Would love to hear more about your trip :) x

      Delete
  4. Awww wow it look alike you had an amazing time! My friend has just got back from a round trip from America and she said its the best thing she has ever done. Great pics too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds incredible, this was one of the best things I've ever done too :) x

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post, beautiful pictures and an amazing place! I'd really love to do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! These photos are beautiful, that last one is just amazing I'd love to go somewhere like this! So jealous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber, it wasn't hard to take amazing photos here! :) x

      Delete
  7. Wow! The last photo is just the best!<3 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It was the most incredible road to drive down! xx

      Delete
  8. your photos are breathtaking <3

    ReplyDelete